We're almost sure you've read some of the latest info on how fermented foods are the bomb.com. And how with this wonder food, a happy gut, shiny skin and healthy hormones are just around the corner. A bottle of this golden goodness in the store can be quite pricey, so we got this great recipe by the beautiful Jane from Haven of Health so you can make you own at home! This is some of the tastiest, most probiotic poppin' kraut for around only $5. Happy making.
- Finely chop your cabbage, beetroot, onion, radish, garlic and ginger and add to a large bowl.
- Add the Himalayan salt and wakame flakes and mix well using your hands. Once combined, allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes, then massage the mixture well for a further 10 minutes.
- You want to squeeze out as much liquid as possible - this will be great for your kraut!
- Firmly pack the mixture into a 1.5L glass jar (adding the liquid as well) and pour the kefir over the top. The awesome thing about this step is that Kefir is already fermented so it will speed up the process a little and add even more gut-loving probiotics! Keep at least 3cm at the top of your jar for the kraut to expand.
- Leave your kraut on your bench top and continue to 'burp' it each day by gently unscrewing the lid and tightening it again. If the mixture rises above water level during fermentation, pack it back down again with your hand.
- Leave the sauerkraut to ferment for 1-2 weeks - depending on how long you can wait! * Ensure all of the utensils you use are sterilised before use Original recipe and image by Jane from Haven of Health.