Aromatherapy has made a serious comeback. As more and more people take their health and wellbeing into their own hands we have opened ourselves to ancient practices that have been used by human for centuries. Aromatherapy is seriously good stuff with science now supporting the therapeutic benefits on our nervous system, mood, physiology and behavior.
Certain aromas such as lavender, lemon and bergamot have been clinically shown to relieve stress, anxiety, depression and other mood disorders. Most notably, the inhalation of essential oils can communicate signals to the olfactory system and stimulate the brain to exert neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine thereby further regulating mood and promoting feelings of calm, wellbeing and happiness.
Aromatherapy has been a powerful tool for me this year in dealing with my feelings of anxiety. My essential oil kitty has grown substantially over the last 12 months, and now my (previously very skeptical) husband has a personal little travel kit that he takes with him on every trip to help him sleep, breathe and protect himself from the airborne germs on the plane.
Aromatherapy is not just for making your house smell pretty. There are many ways to use these little bottles of potions including
Although I may not have been aware of it, I’ve personally dealt with anxiety since I was a child but that's another story for another post. Like most anxious people, when you start to feel anxious, you then get anxious about feeling anxious and so the build up continues until you can barely breathe. Rather than getting a prescription, I looked at natural ways to help me manage these overwhelming feeling, and that's kind of how I was introduced to essential oils.
You can't deny the calming effect that the aroma of lavender can have on your body. It's intoxicating, euphoric and relaxing. Lavender along with these other four favourites are my go to oils for helping relieve feelings of anxiety. Their powerful scents help snap me into the present moment, focus on my breath and focus on the things I can control.
1. Lavender - I’ve always been drawn to lavender. I find it so calming and restorative. I like to add it to my bath, my temples when I have a headache, diffuse for better sleep and even spritz it over my fresh sheets. Lavender has been used by the Egyptians and Romans for bathing, relaxation, cooking and as a perfume.
2. Roman Chamomile - This oil has actually been nicknamed the "plant's physician" because it has positive effects on plants growing nearby. It has a floral and sweet scent that helps uplift mood and snap you our of your funk. The ancient Romans actually used this oil for courage during war, so take a whiff before the next boardroom meeting or approaching your boss for a pay rise.
3. Bergamot - This is my peace keeper oil. I like to add a few drops to the diffuser when things get a little heated at home. It has a fresh citrus like scent which I find quite uplifting. It's also great for the skin, and can treat head tension and promote restful sleep.
4. ClaryCalm® - This is my secret weapon during that time of the month. The gorgeous blend of my favorites Clary Sage, Lavender, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile plus a few other amazing essential oils, has a soothing and calming effect. You can apply this guy directly to the abdomen, wrists or chest or diffuse for a calming aroma that helps soothe heightened emotions.
5. Balance® - The name says it all really. This blend is fresh, sweet and woody and great used with a carrier oil during a massage or as a great aroma to ease anxious feelings. Using a blend of Spruce Needle, Frankincense, Blue Tansy Flower and Blue Chamomile oils this blend is grounding and evokes feelings of tranquility and balance.
When Not all oils are created equal so whatever you decide to use please ensure you get an organic and therapeutic oil. I only use doTERRA oils because I know that the company takes care to source plants that are natively grown in certain regions of the world. They also ensure that adequate time is taken to grown the plants to maximum potency. DoTERRA are a fair trade company that look after the people that grow and produce their crops, so it's a win for everybody.
If you would like to know more about doTERRA or to find out how you can save 25% shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image found on indulgy.com
Juggling a flurry of businesses and passions Sarah Leung is the ultimate multi-tasker. She is the owner and manager of award winning wellness centre, Healthy Energy Holistic Lifestyle & Wellness Centre, Founder of our beloved Alg Seaweed, casual lecturer at La Trobe University, Ballet Student Nutritionist, Food Stylist and Photographer and did we mention that she's also an all round lovely soul? We managed to catch a moment of Sarah's time to talk about all things business, iodine deficiencies and how she manages it all, her answers might surprise you.
Unplug from the ordinary. Adventure awaits. Wanderlust Sunshine Coast is coming and our friends at PERKii want you and your bestie to experience Wanderlust in style! How would you like to score flights, accommodation and four days of adventure and mindful living at Wanderlust Festival on the Sunshine Coast. Read on for more!
There's a little saying I like to go by, if you can't tone it, tan it! I won't lie, I'm quite partial to sporting a year round tan. There is something about having that sun-kissed glow that makes you feel and look a little leaner, and dare I say a tad sexier. The good news is that with all the amazing advancements in natural skin care products, you can get that glow without worrying about nasty toxins, sun damaged skin or looking like an Oompa Loompa. Here is my pick of the best natural tanning essentials to get your through this winter and beyond!
SUBSCRIBE & SAVE 10% OFF
YOUR FIRST ORDER
We know you're too busy for junk mail, so you will only be notified of important things like new arrivals, special offers and exciting news.