Feeling frazzled? I hear you! This year has just been whizzing past, and it seems there are just not enough hours in the day to fit everything in. Deep down you know you should be making more time to take care of yourself, but who has that kind of time? I caught up wth holistic health and skin coach Yvette Sinclair and got her tips on how to effortlessly add a little pampering into your busy week.
Switch up your workout
While your life is going at 100km/h your workouts don't have to. When your life is stressful, don't exhaust your adrenal glands by adding more cortisol to your already frazzled body, or you'll run the risk of getting sick and worn out. Switch your workout something more balancing like
- Nurture walks
- Beautiful cleansing walk along the beach
Get your chamomile tea on ... your face
Chamomile is a beautiful tea to drink, it's very calming and relaxing to have before bed or when your feeling anxious and overwhelmed. When your tired eye bag game is strong, pop Yvette recommends to pop some cooled chamomile tea bags on your eyes.
"When your eyes are feeling puffy and tired try adding some cold chamomile tea bags and laying back for 10-15 mins and let the tea do its MAGIC," Yvette recommends.
Get a salt lamp
Can't get to the beach as much as you'd like? Get a Himalayan salt lamp. "Salt lamps are amazing to have in your home, and do wonders for your health wellbeing," Yvette says.
"They are great for releasing negative icons into the air, encouraging and relaxing sleep atmosphere."
What does that mean? The magic lamp will help you feel like a rockstar, help remove pollutants from the air and mimic the effects of living by the sea.
Invest in some crystals
Crystals are little miracle workers, place them around your home, hold them, talk to them and feel the HEALING energy you get from them. We recommend the following:
- Citrine for Increased energy and wealth protection
- Black Obsidian - helps eliminate negativity.
- Moonstone - great for preventing jet lag and combat stress.
- Rose Quarts - known as the love stone, this high-energy crystal brings inner warmth – inspiring a strong sense of self-esteem and self-worth – and soothes those around it.
- Howlite - a super stone that slows down overactivity in the mind and helps you achieve a deep and restful sleep
- Amethyst - a meditative and calming stone, Amethyst work in the emotional, spiritual, and physical planes to promote balance and peace.
Create some go to self-care rituals
Life can get crazy, I get it. We all live such a stressful lives with work, families and not having much time to give ourselves time to relax, and just be you. Create a go to list of of your favourite ways to recharge. Yvette recommends
- Read your favourite mag
- Call your friend/ sister whoever puts a smile on you face.
- Go for a walk
- Cook your favourite meal
- Give yourself a mini facial
Eat more greens
When you're stressed, your face will show it. Up your greens to help soothe inflammation, detoxify and restore. "Green foods tend to be high in skin-boosting vitamins including A, C, and E. They can also contain a number of plant antioxidants that have also been known to improve skin quality," Yvette says.
"Alfalfa and spirulina in particular, are known for their abilities to draw out impurities and aid the body in detoxification, which can help to clear away blemishes, and may reduce the appearance of stretch marks."
Yvette recommends adding an organic greens powder to your smoothies or water in the mornings.
"It can also help to boost the bodies blood circulation, which will bring more colour and a natural glow to your skin, giving the appearance of rosy cheeks and overall health," she says.
Try this gorgeous facial recipe.
Foodie Facial Recipe
You will need
- 1 mashed Avocado
- 1 Tbs cacao powder
- 1 Tbs Raw honey
- 1 Tsp of greens powder
- 1 Tbs melted coconut oil
- Mix all together.
- Spread over face.
- Leave for 10 mins.
- Rinse with warm water.
Indulge in a little aromatherapy
Need a little boost without sugar or caffeine? Reach for an uplifting essential oil blend. Yvette oils such as:
- Wild orange
I also love popping a drop of peppermint oil on one palm, and a drop of wild orange on the other, rubbing them together and inhaling he fragrance through my cupped hands. Sure way to get you bright eyed and bushy tailed. Great for an afternoon pick-me-up also.
Learn to meditate
We all talk about it, but you need to turn words into actions and clock in some medi sessions throughout the week. Yvette recommends getting creative with where you medi, and to fit them in around your busy lifestyle like
- In your car - not while you're driving of course, but maybe you're early to pick up the kids, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, and focus on the here and now.
- Having a shower - you don't have to sit down in lotus with the water running down your back, you totally can if you want to, but closing your eyes and focusing on your breath for a couple of minutes will do you a world of wonders.
- Before bed - pop a guided meditation session in your ears, close your eyes, breathe deeply and gently drift away to sleep.
Most importantly though, make sure you take time to breathe and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.