This is a great recipe for anyone looking to cut back on sugar, and up your vegetable intake. This low-sugar, sweet potato based icing is a great icing to pop on-top of chocolate cupcakes like the Monday Food Co, Gut Friendly Lavender Chocolate Cupcakes.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 350g dark or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped or chips
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C and pierce your sweet potato a few times with a fork.
- Place the sweet potato directly on the oven rack and bake for an hour, or until tender. Be sure to place an oven tray underneath to catch any drips from all the baked sweet potato goodness.
- When cooked, allow the sweet potato cool down a little, so that's cool enough to touch but warm enough to melt chocolate.
- Pop it in the food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add the chocolate and pulse to combine.
- Allow to cool, then transfer the icing mixture to a bowl and continue to stir until the sweet potato cools completely and the frosting begins to thicken.
- Spread evenly over cooled chocolate cupcakes.
- Don't forget to lick the bowl!