I am on a serious hemp heart roll at the moment. This dip is a take on an old walnut and beet I used to make back in the Well Nest Kitchen days. You can have this on toast, as a dollop on a salad, straight out of the jar, mixed through pasta... go nuts!
Beets are great for anyone with blood pressure issues. They also help with boosting your stamina during exercise, and are a great source of potassium and other minerals.
Time: 20 | Yield: 1 Large Container
4-6 small organic beets
1 cup hemp hearts
Extra virgin olive oil
Bunch of parsley, chopped
Whole bulb of garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place a whole bulb of garlic in some foil, drizzle with olive oil, wrap up with foil and pop on the roasting tray.
- You can peel the beets, however if they're organic I like to leave the skin on. Drizzle the beets with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, season with salt and pop on the tray next to garlic. Roast the in the oven for about 20 mins or until they're soft when you insert a fork.
- Allow the beets and garlic to cool.
- Open your garlic parcel and pop off two cloves of garlic, you should be able to squeeze them out of their skin.
- Add two of the cloves to the beats and transfer to a food processor.
- Process on high until the mixture is coarse, then add the hemp seeds and about 4 tbs of olive oil, and parsley.
- Process again until the mixture resembles a coarse pure.
- Add the lemon, season to taste and pulse through.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. The flavour intensifies with time.
Tip: If you're not vegan, try folding through some feta or goats cheese and serve on toast. Heaven!