Banana bread is a stable at our house. Perfect for breakfast, as a snack, or just to have sliced up in the freezer for those days when you need to have something sweet, warm, smothered in butter and drizzled in honey.
My go to recipe is pretty simple, but I jazzed it up with a little hemp heart goodness. Why? Because I'm obsessed with the goodness of hemp and just how versatile they are. I've been adding them to smoothies, salads, falafels, soups, dips, bliss balls, so it's a no brainer that they would work well in banana bread.
Hempseed is a super seed revered for its many nutritional qualities. Take off the shell of a raw hemp seed and you’re left with a nutty, buttery hemp heart. They are loaded with omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids, protein, iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium. In fact, every 30g serve has:
- 19% RDI of protein in every serve
- 195% RDI of ALA omega 3
- 21% RDI Vitamin B1
- 56% RDI Magnesium
- 31% RDI Iron
- 25% RDI Zinc
- Naturally low in sugar - just 0.8g per serve!
- Gluten free and vegan friendly
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 60-65 mins | Serves: 6-8
Ingredients100g extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Natvia baking sweetener
1 tsp Heilala vanilla paste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 ripe bananas, mashed
125g Spelt flour
125g buckwheat flour
3/4 cup Hemple Hemp Hearts
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
butter to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Lightly grease and line a loaf tin.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir through until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 60–65 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve with the extra butter.
Have you tried this recipe? Comment below on how it turned out or share the love on Instagram and tag me @thewellnest #thewellnest