Dates have been hailed as a saviour for "healthy treats". They are cholesterol-free, low in fat and rich in vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, A1 and C, iron, potassium, calcium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Sounds like the perfect healthy treat, but they also have around 29 mg of fructose and a high glycemic index, which can increase blood sugar levels significantly. Eek! When you throw a tub of dates into a healthy treat mix the sugar levels can really stack up.
Our girl Emma Swanston from Better With Cake has created this date free treat recipe that still gives you that sweet fix you need, without maxing out your sugar intake.
Time: 20 mins | Yield: 16
1 teaspoon of maca – for hormone balance
2 scoops of collagen – for extra protein and gut healing goodness
Optional for serving –
Good quality dark chocolate
Flaky sea salt
- Optional step – toast nuts for 5-10mins 175’C/350’F – or throw them into a dry frypan/skillet and shake frequently for 5-10 mins until fragrant
- Place all ingredients into your food processor and blend until it comes together to form a dough ( keep an eye on it, if you blend for too long you’ll end up with nut butter which, will still be delicious but, is not what we want to make these amaze-balls) *Note – if you feel like your batter is a little dry add a splash or two of almond, 1 teaspoon at a time to reach desired/rollable consistency.
- You may also want to pop them in the fridge to chill for 5 minutes before rolling, this makes them a little easier to shape.
- Roll into balls (I got 16 using 1 Tbsp for each) and freeze for 30-45 mins until firm.
- Once set, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with a flaky sea salt.
These little darling need to be refrigerated – I actually keep mine in the freezer – they will keep well in an airtight container for 3-6 months.