Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable and has been a great substitute for things like rice and mash in our house. It's a great blank canvas that carries flavours so well and because it's white, you can literally make it look like anything. This week I decided to turn the humble cauli into steaks that even my meat eating hubby would approve of.
Nutritionally speaking, cauli is a powerhouse of nutrients. Just one serving of cauliflower contains 77 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C as well as being a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fibre, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese (Mercola, 2014).
A whole head of cauli should give you 4-6 decent steaks, and the rest of the broken bits you can marinate, roast up and serve in salads throughout the week. The pops of yellow, orange and caramelised browns are so pretty on a plate. I really hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Leave a comment below if you make it
Time: 20 mins | Yield: 4-6 steaks
1 head of cauliflower
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt to taste
For the beans
2 handfuls of green beans, tails removed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
salt to taste
- Prepare the marinate by mixing spices, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl.
- Slice the cauliflower into 1.5cm thick pieces horizontally.
- Place the pieces on a large baking tray and coat with the marinade on both sides.
- Cover and allow to sit for at least an hour. Any broken bits of cauliflower can also be coated in marinate and roasted later.
- When you're ready to cook your steaks, heat a griddle pan and place your steaks on the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until they just start to caramelise.
- While your steaks are cooking, heat another medium pan and sauté your beans in garlic and butter.
- Serve immediately, drizzle with olive oil and extra lemon and season generously with salt and pepper.
- The leftover cauliflower pieces can be roasted and used in salads or as a side with other meals.